The Ministry of Agriculture training Institute (MATI) Mlingano which was estabIished in 1970 offers long and short courses:
- Draught animals
- Management Farmers training
- Tailor made courses on request.
MATI—Mlingano is located in Muheza District, Tanga Region, 30 km Wet to Tanga and 12km East of Muheza, on the Tanga-Dar es Salaam highway.
1. AGROMECHANIZATION DIPLOMA COURSE
At the end of the course the students should be able to:-
- Operate, repair and maintain farm machinery
- Train and supervise machinery operators
- Designer and make simple tools and machinery spares
- Carryout extension programs
- Train farmers and students.
- Manage Farm workshops
Pre-Service: ‘A’ level with passes in any two of the following subjects Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Geograph and English.
- Applied physics and mathematics
- Electrical power and other sources of power
- Tractor power
- Planting fertilizer applicators, spraying and weeding
- Tillage machinery and tractor driving
- Animal power
- Workshop technology
- Technical drawing
- Soil and water-Management and agroforestry
- Principles of crop husbandry &Livestock Production
- Agricultural Economics and farm Management
- Psychology, rural sociology, adult learning and gender
- Harvesting and processing Machinery
- Tractor power
- Farm Power and Machinery management
- Carpentry, precision instruments and lathe works
- Farm structures
- Rural technology
- Farm management and Workshop
- Organization and Management
- Farming Systems Research
- Extension, communication skills and public administration.
Two years. The course starts in early September of each year.*
- MATI—Mlingano Profile
- Costs: US$ 2000 for foreign students
- Tshs. 540,000/=* for private organizations
- Tshs. 360 000I=* parent sponsored students
- Tshs. 200,000/= Day students
- *Subject to change annually
2. DRAUGHT ANIMAL POWER:
The course aims at enabling Participants to select, train, use care for draught animals in farm operations as well as repair maintain animal drawn implements and carts.
- Extension workers
- Duration: Four weeks
- Selection of draught animals
- Animal drawn implements
- Farm operations.
- Training of oxen and donkeys for work
- Management and care of draught animals their implements.
- Application of the knowledge and Practice.
Cell Phone: +255 754 387593