Shirika la Ukaguzi na Usimamizi wa Vyama vya Ushirika (COASCO)
The Co-operative Audit and Supervision Corporation was established in 1982 by an Act of Parliament No. 15 of 1982 to be the sole public corporation that provided Audit, Supervision and Consultancy services to the cooperatives in Tanzania Mainland. During its establishment, COASCO took over all the assets and liabilities that were owned by ASF including employees.
The Act was amended in April 2005 and assented by the President of The United Republic of Tanzania on 6th June, 2005 to empower the corporation to provide Audit, Supervision, Research, Consultancy and Other related services to Cooperatives as well as to non-Cooperative entities in Tanzania
As provided for under Sec. 4(1) of its Act of Establishment, the mandated functions of COASCO are as follows;
- To provide audit services to Pre- cooperative groups, Cooperative societies; private or public companies and other organization
- To provide supervision services to pre-Cooperative groups and Cooperative Societies
- To formulate audit and accounting policies for adoption by Societies
- To carry out research and consultancy services
- To monitor other audit firms which shall conduct auditing services to pre-cooperative groups and Cooperative Societies and
- To do anything which may facilitate the proper services of the function of the corporation.