PLANT BREEDER’S RIGHTS UNIT
To promote plant breeding and availability of improved plant varieties for agricultural development in the Country.
This Unit will perform the following activities: -
- Establish criteria for quality plant breeds;
- Register quality plant breeds;
- Grant Plant Breeders’ Rights (PBR);
- Establish and maintain a documentation centre for the purposes of dissemination of information on Plant Breeders’ Rights in Tanzania;
- Maintain a register and provide information on Plant Breeders’ Rights issues;
- Facilitate transfer and licensing of Plant Breeders’ Rights;
- Collaborate with Local and International bodies whose functions relate to Intellectual Property Rights matters;
- Maintain the Plant Breeders’ Rights Fund established under the Plant Breeders Rights; and
- Coordinate matters on property rights that relate to plant genetic resources and geographical indications.
This Unit will be led by a Registrar.